P5 Sustainability is Proteus’ dedicated sustainability program. P5 Sustainability stands for Proteus Packaging: People, Planet, Profits and focuses on the following elements:
- Employ business practices that are beneficial to employees and the community
- Focus on making Proteus a great place to work
- Participate in the surrounding community
- Recycle all metals including ink cans, banding, bailing wire, steel drums and sheet aluminum
- Recycle 100% of our waste with an air scrap system
- Recycle all chemicals and waste oils
- Use low-VOC inks and coatings
- Installed energy efficient and automated lighting fixtures with highly reflective bulb fixtures
- Insulated to meet and exceed code
- Installed energy-efficient heating and cooling systems
- Added air turnover unit that keeps temperatures within 5 degrees in the winter and summer months
- Installed a Medasys control system that manages the environment with off time set backs and allows maintenance staff to diagnose and control problems immediately
- Retrofitted equipment to reduce energy consumption and lower maintenance costs
- Installed a litho water system to re-circulate and clean its process water
- Replaced our materials handling vehicles with 80 volt electric AC trucks which extend battery life and eliminate exhaust emissions
- Added a storm sewer system to handle rain water
- Included green space to absorb rain water naturally
- We believe in following the triple bottom line (TPL) business model – people, plant and profit
- We are fair and employ beneficial business practices for our employees and the community around us
- We believe in the importance of caring for the planet and profits that reflect the traditional sense as well as the “profits” of our social outreach.
Proteus also practices sustainable design in which we create packaging that is more environmentally friendly. We are committed to developing packaging that requires fewer materials and uses environmentally friendly resources.
Sustainability is an on-going process and we are dedicated to continuing the process. We will continue to add to our P5 Sustainability program, so check back often to see what’s new.